Monday, July 13, 2009

Puppets!

I've always been very interested in puppets, and have been set on making one for quite a while now. After a lot of research online, looking at various tips and tutorials, I finally got around to it.

His name is Tuck!

Puppet Time

Puppet Time

Puppet Time

Puppet Time

Puppet Time

Puppet Time

Tuck is actually my second attempt at puppet making. I had drawn up a ton of designs and bought new materials and was making excellent progress, but about 3/4 of the way through I got frustrated with the results I was getting, so I put the puppet on hold. I was trying too hard to achieve a certain look and shape, and just didn't know enough to get what I wanted. I took a break, used what I learned on the first attempt to start a new puppet (Tuck), and decided to come back to it later with fresh eyes. It isn't yet finished, but now that I have taken some time away from it, I have ideas for a new direction that I am pretty excited about.

Anyway, while working on that one, I took some pictures of my progress along the way:

First Puppet Progress

First Puppet Progress: Hands

First Puppet Progress

First Puppet Progress

For more images of Tuck, visit the Puppet Time set on Flickr.
For more images of the puppet in progress, visit the Puppet Progress set.

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness this is fabulous! What a great character, and thank you for posting the in-progress shot. That is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute puppet. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredibly cool! I refuse to believe this is only your second attempt. Ok, I believe you, congratulations, this is amazing. (I love the guy's hairdo.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey all, thanks so much!
    DoodleFactory - Yay! I never know if there's much interest in in-progress images of my work, but it just seemed appropriate for something like a puppet.
    Momo - I'm glad you like him!
    André - Thanks! I had the help of a lot of great websites and tutorials. And his hair is so easy to style, it's my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete